message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017

12

message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017

Kaleem
Hi,

when i try to do online sync with dropbox account it shows "Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017 waiting for update from the developer"
Can some one clarify what does it mean
This app will not work in future or what?

Regards
Kaleem

Re: message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017

Davie
Good question. I am currently copying all my data in case it does not work. Which would be a disaster :-(

Re: message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017

Davie
Incidently you only get that message when setting up Pocket on a new device

Or re-installing on an existing device

Re: message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017

lovepcket
Just today when I tried to open Pocket on my win 10 computers, I get the message....Pocket database not found (wallet.db).

Yes, it would be a disaster if it doesn't restore. How did you back up your information?

Please share the process.

Thanks!

Re: message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017

Albrecht
I was investing one hour to extract all my info manually!

Re: message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017

dsdmd
This probably won't help if you can't get your data now, but I had uploaded mine to Dropbox.  I was able to restore all of it in a minute or so.

I really don't know what I'll do if this app is discontinued. I will still have my data but I LOVE this app.  I think it may be the most useful app I have and haven't found anything that even comes close to it in functionality.  Tom Clark is a genius.   I upgraded to PRO a log time ago just to support him.  If enough people had, maybe his day job would have been supporting this app and writing more wonderful ones for us.

Re: message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017

dsdmd
I uploaded mine to Dropbox.  Was able to add to another device in a minute or two.  I almost lost it once when things crashed.  Never again.  Hope this doesn't really retire.

Re: message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017

thangcuoi
I found this forum after receiving an email notice from Dropbox.

Tim most recently updated app is ASAP Launcher (7 Nov 2016). He has an email address listed on Google Play. I have emailed to ask if he will be releasing a fix for the new Dropbox API update. Hopefully, the fix will not require too much work and he can find the time to do it.

Edit : My email was sent to timothyjc@gmail.com. It's possible he does not use that email address anymore.

The emaill listed on the ASAP Launcher page is clarkitconsultancy+asap@googlemail.com which is probably clarkitconsultancy+asap@gmail.com, if anyone else like to contact Tim.

Re: message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017

misterodd
I received a message from Dropbox telling me as of 28th September I'll no longer be able to sync to pocket 😕

Re: message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017

Mary
I just got the same email...

Re: message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017

jeanb
I was playing with pocket tonight because I also do not want to lose my info.
I found that you can export the info from pocket.

At the bottom of pocket -- click config -- then export - at the very top mine says pocket xml (unencrypted)
you can change that to a different format by clicking on the far right of that area.
I exported both the pocket.xml unencrypted and the pocket.csv unencrypted
chose where on your phone you want to save the info.  then save it.  remember the name and location

Now I sent that file to my dropbox folder.  The original file (wallet.db) is encrypted so that is why you have to chose one of the two unencrypted files to play with and import somewhere else.

Now that I have my unencrypted files I opened the csv file up in excel.  the info is there but not organized so it would be easy to import into another program.

I have not tried to import it as is but I may try that later.  Right now I just wanted to get the info somewhere else so I would not lose it. There may be a program or all out there that will import just fine with the info I have exported but right now it is 10:40 pm and I am going to bed.  Will play again tomorrow.

I am going to mess with the information and organize it so all the info is in the right columns.

Then once I am done that I will see what program I can import the file into.

If in the mean time Tim decides to work on the existing pocket program then I can continue using it but if not then I will not lose my data.

You might want to consider doing the same thing just in case.

Ron

I have also received the message advising that Pocket will not work on Dropbox shortly.  I have transferred the Secure Wallet file to my Box account and having changed the link accordingly on my PCs the programme, happily, continues to work and sync normally.  My problem is that I cannot do this on my Android phone because the only option that it offers is to sync with Dropbox. Any suggestions as to how one can sync the app from the Android phone to a different URL e.g. Box?
Dee

Re: message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017

Dee
To make an alternative (to Dropbox) backup why not use OneDrive in your Desktop version of Pocket?

On my desktop version I have made a copy of the SecureWallet folder and put it in my OneDrive folder. (wallet.db contains your data).

To use the OneDrive version of your Pocket data, open Pocket and select the newly created SecureWallet folder in the OneDrive folder, enter your password and you are then working on the OneDrive version of your data. Next time you use Pocket there's no need to choose a folder, just enter your password and you will still be working on the OneDrive version. To work on the previous version in Dropbox select the SecureWallet folder in Dropbox before entering your password.

Of course this doesn't help if you dont have the desktop version of Pocket in which case I suggest you install a copy simply to enable backup of your data in an alternative location to Dropbox.

As far as I know - reading tge Dropbox email - the Dropbox changes only effect "Pocket for Android" but it's always a good thing to have more than one backup of any data.

Re: message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017

jeanburgess23
Yes but pocket for window does not work on my desktop.  It might not be compatible for the newer versions of Windows as Tim has not made changes to the app in years.

On Aug 11, 2017 11:50 AM, "Dee [via Pocket for Android]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://pocket-for-android.1047292.n5.nabble.com/message-shows-Pocket-Retiring-28-June-2017-tp5707350p5707386.html
To unsubscribe from message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017, click here.
NAML
Ron

Re: message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017

Ron
Thanks for for your response, but as I mentioned I have the app working perfectly on my PC and Laptop they both sync to my SecureWallet folder that I have moved to my Box account without a problem.  However your solution is intended for my above-mentioned equipment that already works but on my Android phone the Pocket app provides the only option which is to sync through Dropbox. My question is, is it possible to somehow override this option and connect to an alternate source  e.g. Box or Onedrive to enable the phone to access my SecureWallet.

Re: message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017

jeanburgess23
No idea as Tim has not made changes to.the app in years.  So right now I would say no.

On Aug 11, 2017 10:05 PM, "Ron [via Pocket for Android]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for for your response, but as I mentioned I have the app working perfectly on my PC and Laptop they both sync to my SecureWallet folder that I have moved to my Box account without a problem.  However your solution is intended for my above-mentioned equipment that already works but on my Android phone the Pocket app provides the only option which is to sync through Dropbox. My question is, is it possible to somehow override this option and connect to an alternate source  e.g. Box or Onedrive to enable the phone to access my SecureWallet.

http://pocket-for-android.1047292.n5.nabble.com/message-shows-Pocket-Retiring-28-June-2017-tp5707350p5707391.html
To unsubscribe from message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017, click here.
NAML
Ron

Re: message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017

Ron
That's depressing, because I really like this app, have been using it for a number of years and refer to it a number of times each day and if my phone has not been synced, the information therein will be out of date and the app becomes much less functional.
Well it looks as though I shall have to search around for an alternative.  What a pity.

Cheers

Re: message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017

kaptkanga
Do you use a paid Dropbox account?

Re: message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017

jeanburgess23
Yes it is a great app.  The sync is really only necessary for syncing with a second version of it. Say husband and wife have all their passwords in pocket and they want to update both phones when something is changed or added.  Then once changed it syncs to Dropbox and then the info will also be updated on the other phone.
The problem is it is also needed so if your phone gets lost or stolen then you can reinstall it on a new phone and grab the saved info out of dropbox.
Yes kinda a pain but I am looking for a replacement.  For now I just exported the info to my computer so u have it until I find something to replace it.

On Aug 11, 2017 10:39 PM, "Ron [via Pocket for Android]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
That's depressing, because I really like this app, have been using it for a number of years and refer to it a number of times each day and if my phone has not been synced, the information therein will be out of date and the app becomes much less functional.
Well it looks as though I shall have to search around for an alternative.  What a pity.

Cheers

http://pocket-for-android.1047292.n5.nabble.com/message-shows-Pocket-Retiring-28-June-2017-tp5707350p5707393.html
To unsubscribe from message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017, click here.
NAML

Re: message shows Pocket Retiring 28 June 2017

sweet7810music
If someone finds a good alternative, please post.

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:13 AM, jeanburgess23 [via Pocket for Android]
[...]

http://pocket-for-android.1047292.n5.nabble.com/message-shows-Pocket-Retiring-28-June-2017-tp5707350p5707396.html
To start a new topic under Pocket for Android, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Pocket for Android, click here.
NAML
12