Syncing Guide

123

Syncing Guide

timothyjc
Administrator
This post was updated on .
This guide outlines the Dropbox syncing process for Pocket.

OVERVIEW

Pocket uses Dropbox as a central point to store your encrypted data. Syncing involves reading and writing your data to Dropbox. Of course you can choose not to use Dropbox and just import and export your Pocket data manually too.

STEPS FOR SYNCING ON ANDROID

Before you can sync Pocket to Dropbox you will need a Dropbox account which you can get from the Dropbox website here (www.dropbox.com).

Install Pocket and on the screen which says New or Existing Pocket, this is where you can import an existing Pocket from Dropbox, manually import a Pocket or simply start from scratch. For the first time you use Pocket you will select Create New Pocket.

Once you have chosen your master password you will be taken to a screen which says Önline Sync Setup.  This is where you must select Existing Dropbox Account. Enter your Dropbox credentials and then click Login. Online syncing to Dropbox is now setup.

HOW SYNCING WORKS

Pocket has a very simplistic syncing method. When you log in to Pocket it checks to see if there is a new version on Pocket on your Dropbox account. If the version number is greater than the version number on your device then you will be prompted to overwrite your local data with the one which has the higher version number.

When you make a change to your data and then lock Pocket, the version number will be incremented and your data will be written to Dropbox.

WHAT IS STORED ON DROPBOX

Your Pocket data is stored under a folder called SecureWallet (historically named).

There will be two file under there:
1) wallet.db: This is an encrypted database which contains your information (historically named)
2) hash.txt: Encryption metadata and Pocket version

The syncing process will look for these exact file names, so if you are manually importing files and then decide to switch to using Dropbox, pay attention to the names.

SYNCING MULTIPLE DEVICES

You can install Pocket on multiple devices as well as the desktop version and keep all your information in sync.  If you are installing Pocket on a second Android device, or you are upgrading to a new phone, and you had previously set up Dropbox sync, then during the setup wizard select Import from Dropbox from the New or Existing Pocket screen.

If you are running Pocket on multiple devices then make sure that any changes you make are synced to the secondary devices before editing Pocket on those devices.

POTENTIAL PROBLEMS

1) No Internet Connection: If during syncing there is a network connection problem Pocket will display a notification that it was unable to save your edit. You may want to manually force a sync when you have an internet connection (under Config/Sync Now). Alternatively, you can edit or change some data to retrigger a sync.

2) The app was developed on a stock Android ROM (Nexus One). Some of the custom ROMs may not work as desired.

3) Importing from Dropbox shows empty Pocket. I suspect this is a ROM specific bug but am not sure currently. A workaround could be to manually export as a XML and then import the Pocket XML on the new device you are trying to sync to.  If you can reproduce this error with a dummy db and hash file please email them to me and I can check if it is database or device specific.

4) There is a bug which I cannot reproduce where some users do not see the screen which shows Newer Pocket Found. Use It?. This screen is meant to show up when you change Pocket on another device and Pocket should prompt you about the newer version. If this happens to you, then the workaround is to reinstall Pocket.

5) Data is lost - shows welcome screen. This can happen if for some reason the the app preferences get corrupted, as this is where Pocket stores the info that you have already set up Pocket. I'm not sure why this happens as I have not been able to reproduce it, but if this happens to you then you might need to restore your data from Dropbox if you used that or a manual backup if you did that.

FREQUENT QUESTIONS RELATED TO SYNCING

Where is the data saved?
It is saved in a database in an encrypted format. If you delete Pocket from your phone you have also deleted the data and it is not recoverable from the device. Deleting Pocket from your phone will not delete your data on Dropbox if you elected to use Dropbox sync.

Will I add feature X?
Currently I am not actively developing Pocket aside from some bug fixing and trouble shooting. I am considering making it open source so that others can enhance it if they want to... I’m just not sure if anyone would want to work on it.

Re: Syncing Guide

Grif-5
Thanks for the explanation, sir. But I found some strange thing. After installing the Desktop version I only can reach the data with my old password and to the data which were edited under this old password. Recently I changed my Pocket password and made some changes in the data but can't get them through Desktop with it.  I even uploaded those 2 magic files from Ardroid manually to Dropbox. And even deinstalled Desktop Pocket and installed it again. Synced everithing according to provided instructions (many times) but result - the same. Can't understand. Please advise.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Syncing Guide

Grif-5
Sorry. I just have found the cause. It was from I had 2 Dropbox folders on different drives (C.D) on my Desktop. The system created folders on both of them somehow. Thanks for the useful application.
Best regards.

Re: Syncing Guide

Parag K Bhatt
Is there any way I can access to my passwords (open the hash file) with Excel or XML. what are the other export option available with this application.

I wan to access the has file with another compatible program or rather is there any possibility to install POCKET on my laptop and sync the same with my mobile app.

Please HELP/ GUIDE

Regards,

Parag K Bhatt
App User for my HTC EVO 3D (Andriod)

Re: Syncing Guide

kongo09
Dropbox syncing unfortunately doesn't work for me.

The device itself doesn't show any error and appears to sync. However, on Dropbox a new folder is created, named "SecureWallet" and this folder keeps syncing to my desktop machine forever. The folder has the blue Dropbox-sync-symbol attached and it appears to be empty.

Re: Syncing Guide

kongo09
After some more experiments, I found that the issue might not be related to Pocket at all - or maybe only to Pocket in relation to my special setup. The two files actually find their way into the Dropbox as I was able to verify from the website view of Dropbox. They just never make it to my Ubuntu Desktop. Dropbox fails to sync them over and keeps trying and trying.

This is very strange and I have a few gigs of stuff on Dropbox across Ubuntu, Windows 7 and Android without any problems - apart from the two Pocket files. Maybe it is a Dropbox hickup. I'll keep observing it and will report back later.
Ann

Re: Syncing Guide

Ann
I was out of the country for a couple of weeks and Pocket on my android told me that there was a network connection error occurred when communicating with Dropbox.  It is still telling me that since I have been back.  On my PC I have logged into Pocket and see the files have not changed.  I have logged into Dropbox and can do that.  I tried changing the configuration on my android to not sync, and then change it back to existing Dropbox, but still the same error.  Anything else you can think of?  All was fine until a couple of weeks ago.  Thanks!

Re: Syncing Guide

DaveK
Hi.  Got DropBox sync working between PC and Android 3.2 tablet.  After I update Pocket data on PC, when I sync on tablet, message at bottom (next to ad) "Newer Pocket Found.  Use it?"  I click that and it syncs fine.  Added Pocket on Android 2.2 phone.  When I try to sync I don't see the "Newer Pocket" message and it doesn't get updated data.  The only way I can get the latest Pocket is Config- Setup Online Sync each time.  Is there an easier way?

Re: Syncing Guide

DaveK
Clarification: issues mentioned after "Android 2.2" are seen only on that 2.2 phone.

Re: Syncing Guide

Mike Panchaud
I'm using an HTC desire S with Android 2.3.5.

I get the same issue as DaveK, I never get the message Newer Pocket Found - Use It? I've checked the new 'wallet.db'file I've created using the desktop Pocket has made it correctly to the phones local dropbox.

I can sync if I go through the setup online sync process each time.

Is it possible that the message at the bottom is obscured by the advert??

Otherwise this app looks superb.

Mike

Re: Syncing Guide

DaveK
Aha, another HTC / android 2 user with exactly the same problem. Anyone got dropbox sync & pocket working on a HTC android 2? Pocket free or paid no-ad version? Same problem on paid version of pocket would be interesting & important too.

Re: Syncing Guide

Davy
I have the same problem on paid version. Samsung Galaxy Nexus ICS 4.0.2

Re: Syncing Guide

Chuck
was using pocket on Droid X android 2.2.1, for pw's mostly,  was finally able to get the pocket .db file to upload to dropbox.
(save .db to sd card, or any other folder in phone, failed)

On Droid Razr maxx 2.3.6, pocket won't access the .db file.
it says, Syncing file, but data never appears.

i have downloaded dropbox on both phones and confirmed the file appears in the dropbox, but can't access it.

this should not be so hard...

Re: Syncing Guide

Mike
HTC Desire S

The elusive message 'Newer Pocket Found - Use It?' appears on the status bar at the top, but sometimes is not visible as it is off to the left. Pull down the Android status bar from the top and find the message and click it, then click 'USE'.  This will then sync properly, but this method is not mentioned in the instructions.

Mike.

Re: Syncing Guide

Marsha
Checking to see if you ever found a solution to sync pocket with Droid Razr Maxx.  I'm having the same issue and cannot figure it out! Any help/suggestion would be appreciated!

Re: Syncing Guide

Hunter
On my Android, sync throws no errors. On dopbox, SecureWallet folder is never created. Help...

Re: Syncing Guide

C'mon, Pocket great on phone but can't get info on to pc Dropbox. It happened once, I don't know how but it was all in code, spoils the usefullness of a great idea.

Re: Syncing Guide

C'mon, Why spoil a great program like Pocket then make it so hard to up load it to Dropbox on the pc.  It happened once, I don't know how, but it was all in code, spoils the usefulness of a great idea.

Re: Syncing Guide

crotchon
It seams to me that it's not very secure to let the hash file on the Dropbox folder. Isn't it ?

Re: Syncing Guide

centz005
Syncing used to take a few days. However recently, i tried to input data via the Pocket Desktop program. It never synced to my phone (over the course of 20 days), and why i tried to sync my phone to the dropbox, it overwrote the data so that only the data on my phone was in the dropbox (i.e. i lost all the data i put in via the PC).

Why doesn't this sync quickly and why isn't there a two-way sync such that data i input on my phone and PC are synced to the dropbox?
123