Pocket desktop not working after last java update

Pocket desktop not working after last java update

Marian
Hi,

After last java update  Version 8 Update 101, the desktop version of pocket stopped working. The app can not be launched due to the following error:" the registry refers to a non existing java runtime environment installation or runtime is corrupted. The system cannot find the files specified".

Do you have a solution for this?

Thank you very much for help.

Ed

Re: Pocket desktop not working after last java update

Ed
I'm getting the same message. Running Java version 8 Update 101 (build 1.8.0_101-b13). Can anyone help?

Re: Pocket desktop not working after last java update

G Wolf P
Same problem. I erased the previous installation and all  internet cookies, but it still does not re-install the app.

Re: Pocket desktop not working after last java update

sassyvic
Try to re-install java from here - http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Download the offline installer and install the 64-bit version if your OS is 64-bit.

RE: Pocket desktop not working after last java update

e9g2b3

Thanks for the suggestion. My Java is up to date with the correct 64 bit version. I uninstalled Pocket and reinstalled it. Unfortunately I’m getting the same message.

“Launch4j

The registry refers to a nonexistent Java Runtime Environment installation or the runtime is corrupted.

The system cannot find the path specified.”

Is there anything else I can try? I’m not experiencing Java issues with any other software.

I appreciate your help.

Re: Pocket desktop not working after last java update

Mike
I have this same problem. Re-installing Java is not a solution.

I'd hate to see the windows Pocket not supported anymore because it's such a great application.

Only thing i'd add is I wish there was a way to sync pocket from drop box on the PC like with android.

Re: Pocket desktop not working after last java update

Sync
There is, but not via Pocket.

1) Copy your local Pocket file (and hashed password) to the networked Dropbox location (cloud) after every change.   Copying the PW file may or may not be necessary everytime, I beieve the SALT is independant of anything in the data file (any cryptos out there?), certainly when you've updated the PW.
    It does:
     a) avoid having new data stored using an old PW,
     b) *avoid the above when you've discarded/forgotten the old password.

2) Via Dropbox sync.
Which does mean running an extra service (or services?).
*N.B.
For this to work your local Pocket folder *must* be within your local Dropbox folder.

There seems to have been a lot of confusion with sync over time, I think many problems stem from folder location.

If you're running Dropbox Sync (*from Dropbox) and your local Pocket folder is within the local Dropbox folder it *will* sync.
If not, you have issues other than Pocket.

Final point.
It may be necessary for you to move your Pocket files to the local Dropbox folder.

1. Copy your Pocket folder to the Dropbox folder using any file management tool.
2. Start the phone app, open a new file and navigate to your Dropbox ---> Pocket folder.

The PC application may need to be re-installed, then when you start it the 'first' time point it the new location.
Re-installation may or may not be necessary, it's been a long time since I've done it.

[The above has been formatted for easy reading, I don't know that the formatting will be reflected in the post]

Re: Pocket desktop not working after last java update

Graham
That's great - I reinstalled the offline version of Java and Pocket is working again on Windows 10.

Many thanks for the advice