Desktop Version Released

1234

Desktop Version Released

timothyjc
Administrator

Re: Desktop Version Released

fly00by
Is it possible to directly synchronize the Pocket Desktop and Android Pocket files by way of the USB cable, or must the synchro be done through Dropbox?

Re: Desktop Version Released

timothyjc
Administrator
Currently you can only do it via Dropbox or manually export and copy. This is no USB auto-asyncing.

Re: Desktop Version Released

John Fish
Is it possible to have the URL clickable in the windows version?

Re: Desktop Version Released

johnmario1981
USB auto_sync sucks as you can seriously loose data if you have multiple devices.

DropBox is free and you can create a drop box account just for your wallet but it is not big at all.

I use 2 phones, 1 tablet, and 3 computers which all use same wallet db in drop box and let me tell you, ITS BLOODY AWESOME.

Tim you are tha MAN.

PS.  I love the idea of making links click-able in the windows version.  Would be awesome if possible depending on what language you used to create the software.  If you used C# then it should be quite simple :)

Re: Desktop Version Released

Rich B
This is a beautiful piece of work.  Thanks very much.
I have a simple request:  Can you make the Windows Desktop version respond to the property "RUN: Maximized."
Thanks in advance.
Rich

Re: Desktop Version Released

johnmario1981
why not open and click maximize?

If you really need ti to be maxed.

Re: Desktop Version Released

Richb
... because the maximize control winds up under my task bar, which I prefer at the top of my screen.

Re: Desktop Version Released

mredmond
Is there a way to keep the Desktop version in Sync with mobile versions?

I couldn't find any options to sync to Dropbox in the Desktop version...

Re: Desktop Version Released

TotallyNuts
Please make it possible to sync via USB! A lot of us are concerned about uploading our confidential information to the web no matter how secure the site is said to be.

Re: Desktop Version Released

edwithers
Can you copy and paste info into the desktop version?

Re: Desktop Version Released

mredmond
As johnmario said, auto usb syncing presents a huge risk of causing you to lose your data. The cloud sync option is much safer, easier, and more reliable.

However, if you really want, you still can do a manual "sync" via USB:

1) Export the pocket file from your mobile app to your SD card
2) Connect via USB to your computer
3) Move the files from your mobile's SD to a folder on your computer
4) Go into the desktop app and from the load pocket screen, select the folder you moved the pocket files to
5) When you're done using the desktop app, copy the files back to your SD card and import them into the mobile app (if you made any changes)

Alternatively, you could skip 3-5 and just select the folder location of the files on your SD card from the desktop app, but then you won't be able to access your info from the desktop app unless your mobile is connected to the computer.

If you really do want to use USB, you'll have to follow these steps every time you connect to your computer if you want to keep your data current. Also, and this is very important, if you do follow steps 3-5,  every time you reconnect you'll have to remember which version (either desktop or mobile) has your most recent data, otherwise you risk overwriting it with an older file and losing any changes/updates/new entries you made. If your mobile has more recent changes, you'll have to follow steps 1-5; if your desktop is more recent, you'll only have to repeat step 5. The question is, what do you do if you made changes in both? And what if you have more than one mobile device/computer that you're making changes on?

This is where the cloud sync option becomes so essential. It will keep all of your information 100% current and synced across all your devices. Its as simple as that. No further input or work is required on your part (other than the initail 2-minute setup of a Dropbox account). And technically, your data has multiple levels of sophisticated protection since it is first protected by the very rigorous securities of Dropbox, and then further secured by the encryption Pocket puts on the file itself.

However, the question remains of when the sync feature will be added to the desktop version....since as of right now, unless I'm missing something, there's no option to sign into and sync with your dropbox account on it....which makes me hesitant to use the desktop version yet because I'm constantly updating my Pocket file, and it would take a lot of time to have to download from dropbox and import to Pocket every time I want to use the desktop version, as well as have to upload back to dropbox if I make any changes while using it. Any word on how to do this or what the plans are for it?

Re: Desktop Version Released

mredmond
Ive seen people on the forums talk about updating information on the desktop version and then syncing it to dropbox and then to their mobile, so I must be missing something. I've tried looking all around the app and forums, but can't find anything on how to do this...help?

Re: Desktop Version Released

beatznbleepz
mredmond wrote
Is there a way to keep the Desktop version in Sync with mobile versions?

I couldn't find any options to sync to Dropbox in the Desktop version...
Just save your desktop wallet file in your Dropbox folder.  In your mobile version - select sync with Dropbox.  Now you will always be in sync...

Re: Desktop Version Released

mredmond
Thanks, I just realized I didn't have Dropbox installed on the computer I had installed the desktop Pocket on :)

Desktop Version: Small bug

Michael
When running initial setup you are supposed to enter the path to the dropbox SecureWallet folder. So far so good. However there is a bug on any case sensitive OS (OSX and Linux) in that way that even if the folder browser does show case the path fetched from the folder browser which is transfered to the widget is always lower case making auto discovery of the wallet.db file fail.
Don

Given the fact that many big businesses and government agencies have been hacked, I can't possibly feel comfortable putting my critical information in the cloud under any circumstances.  USB syncing whether manual or automatic has a viable function and should be easily supported.  I did try this and it seems to be possible, but it is not easy as there are some snafus regarding file naming and extensions rules  being different between the Android app and the desktop app.
Don

Re: Desktop Version Released

Don
To swap between Pocket Desktop and Pocket Android requires some manual file copying as noted previously above.  Here's what I've been able to determine about the file specifics.  It appears that Pocket Desktop is hard coded to look for encrypted files only in the form of two files named "wallet.db" and "hash.txt" respectively.  Android Pocket can export the files a number of ways, but you need to select encrypted.  Android Pocket is hardcoded to export (and import) encrypted files to two files named "pocket.db" and "pocket.txt" respectively.  Each pair is required as a set making up the database.  Therefore, you must keep track of which pair are the latest and rename them as appropriate depending on whether you are exporting or importing.

It would be nice if this was documented better.  It would also be nice if Pocket Desktop could read and write the unencrypted XML files directly.

Re: Desktop Version Released

stepanh.android
I do not USB Sync. I will be happy, when names of file on Android and PC will be competible. I posted in the past text see below, but without answer.

Android version exports "pocket.db" and "pocket.txt", but Desktop version using "wallet.db" and "hash.txt". I rename files but it is annoying to do. Please make someting for compatibity in names. I think that "name.db" and "name.txt" is beter for future. Maybe for manage more than one wallet...

stepanh

Re: Desktop Version Released

jwmcclung
I am a noob to Mac OS so keep that in mind.  I have the Android app installed with the Dropbox sync etc..  all of that is working well.  When I open the .jar file on my Macbook Pro and try to open the directory where the SecureWallet file is I cannot select anything.  I can navigate to the DropBox folder then SecureWallet and I can see the wallet.db file but I cannot select anything.  They are all greyed out.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Justin
1234